National Swimming Diplomas Licence
Looking for a provider of children’s swimming classes? Make an informed decision
In the Netherlands, anyone is allowed to offer swimming classes and issue swimming diplomas. It is not a regulated profession. The government relinquished this task in 1984 and transferred it to the Dutch National Water Safety Council. Choose a professional provider that the Dutch National Water Safety Council has independently reviewed; that is the only way to know that you are choosing quality. Proper training lays the foundation for a lifetime of swimming fun and water safety.
Dutch National Swimming Diplomas Licence
Swimming class providers certified by the Dutch National Water Safety Council receive the National Swimming Diplomas Licence— this is the swimming sector’s quality standard. Only swimming class providers who meet the Licence quality criteria are authorised to issue National Swimming Diplomas, including the Swim-ABC.
National Swimming Diplomas Licence quality assurance
The National Swimming Diplomas, including the Swim-ABC, are issued by the Dutch National Water Safety Council. We strive for continuous quality improvement in the swimming sector. The National Swimming Diplomas Licence stimulates safety and quality assurance in learning how to swim and guarantees that the swimming class provider who holds this Licence, works according to the swimming sector’s quality standards.
Swimming class providers that hold the National Swimming Diplomas Licence offer the following four guarantees:
- Certified and qualified swimming teachers ensure that your child is in safe hands and enjoys going to swimming class. The swimming teachers adhere to the Swimming Sector’s Code of Conduct, hold a Certificate of Conduct (VOG), and stay updated with additional training.
- Your child obtains National Swimming Diplomas A, B and C. With National Swimming Diploma C, your child meets the Dutch National Standard for Water Safety. This official diploma is recognised by organisations such as the fire brigade, police and sports academies for the performance of various professions.
- The swimming class provider uses a clearly defined teaching method, helping you determine which provider is the best fit for your child. During swimming classes, you will be kept up to date on your child’s progress.
- The quality is consistent and monitored by independent annual assessments and evaluations during swimming examinations. Furthermore, a National Swimming Diplomas Examiner is present at each swimming examination.
To quickly find a swimming class provider with a National Swimming Diplomas Licence in your vicinity, visit the swimming class locator.
Make an informed decision and choose quality. Like the parents of 300,000 children every year, choose a swimming class provider that offers the Swim-ABC’s National Swimming Diplomas.
What does the Dutch National Water Safety Council check?
A swimming class provider that holds the National Swimming Diplomas Licence, undergoes the following tests by the Dutch National Water Safety Council:
- To obtain the National Swimming Diplomas Licence, the Dutch National Water Safety Council conducts an on-site audit. The audit is used to assess whether the swimming class provider meets all the quality criteria of the National Swimming Diplomas Licence Handbook.
- The National Swimming Diplomas Examiner who determines whether a child is ready for the swimming examination and whether this child passes or fails must take an exam every four years. The Dutch National Water Safety Council also has access to the National Swimming Diplomas Examiner’s reports.
- The Dutch National Water Safety Council conducts spot checks.
- A representative (a delegate) will periodically attend swimming examinations on behalf of the Dutch National Water Safety Council.
How can you tell if a swimming class provider is authorised to teach and issue the ultimate in swimming; the Swim-ABC?
Swimming class providers who issue the genuine Swim-ABC, are being reviewed by the Dutch National Water Safety Council. Swimming class providers are only authorised to issue the Swim-ABC’s National Swimming Diplomas if they meet the quality requirements.
If you want your child to receive the ultimate in swimming; the Swim-ABC, you can recognise authorised swimming class providers by this diploma:
The National Snorkling Diplomas look like this:
How can you tell if your Swimming Diploma, A, B or C was issued by the Dutch National Water Safety Council? Genuine diplomas have several authenticity features. There is a silver hologram in the white clip in the top left corner on the front of the diploma. The “ABC” block is unique to the Swim-ABC. Each swimming diploma also features a unique number above the hologram.
A swimming class provider that holds the National Swimming Diplomas Licence can be recognised by the following sticker:
The sticker can usually be found at the pool entrance or on the window at the reception. The logo with the thumb can also usually be found on the website of swimming class provider that holds the National Swimming Diplomas Licence.
Swimming class providers authorised to issue the genuine Swim-ABC, are listed in the swimming class locator. If a swimming class provider is not listed, it does not meet the Dutch National Water Safety Council’s quality criteria and is not authorised to issue the Swim-ABC’s National Swimming Diplomas.